Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Honey! I didn't drug the kids!

I have always been a big believer in the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) method of doing things. And I have never been a big fan of taking medicine until absolutely necessary. I don't even like to take aspirin for my headaches, unless they are unbelievably bad. It's not that I'm from some freaky cult that doesn't believe in medicine... I do think most of them are worthwhile. It's mostly because I figure that most of us take medicine more than we really need to. So much so, that a lot of the antibiotics in use are no longer effective.

Which brings be to my point. Yes, there is a point! What does most parents do when their sweet little tike becomes a coughing, snot machine? They run for the medicine cabinet and get the little puddle jumper some cough syrup! But as is reported in this article, that just might not be the best option. It seems as that research shows that honey of all things is better for soothing both children's AND their parents coughs better than cough syrups! Its long been known that honey is great for a lot of things. But who would have thought that it can sooth your cough and be yummy at the same time!

That brings me full circle back to the K.I.S.S method. Let's face it, not matter how much cherry flavoring they add, cough syrup still tastes like sweaty armpit. O.K., sweaty armpit with a cherry aftertaste. Trying to get a kid to drink that stuff, is like trying to herd cats. Is it not a lot simpler to get them to eat a little honey. And as a second benefit, honey doesn't go bad. With cough syrup, you almost always end up throwing half a bottle in the trash because its past its expiration date.

And the best part of using honey instead of drugs? No matter what the artificial flavor, cough syrup still taste's like crap on a biscuit.

No comments: